Japanese Immigration at Narita

In 2007, there is a new registration system for visitors. All visitors are required to get fingerprint from both hands and take a photo. The machines are made by NEC. The process is quick and smooth. However, the female custom officers asked me so many questions IN JAPANESE (hey! Im not Japanese. Im a visitor!!!  I lined up in the Visitors Section!!!!)

Q. What is your purpose for this trip?
A. Vacation
Q. Where did you learn Japanese?
A. I learned more than 3 years at University. Then, I have studied in Japan for a year.
Q. Where are you going to stay in Japan?
A. Tokyo
Q. In a hotel?
A. Yes, a hotel at Ikebukuro

Then, she let me go.

After we got our luggage from the luggage belt, we needed to go to Japanese custom again.  The officer stopped us and asked.

Q: Where are you come from?
A: Canada (in japanese)
Q: You know Japanese?
A: Yes.  I studied in Japan before.
Q: How long are you going to stay?
A: 2 weeks.
Q: You speak good Japanese. 
A: Not really (いいえ、まだまだです。)
Q: OK.  Arigatoo Gozaimasu (smile)
A: Arigatoo gozaimasu.

I feel that Japanese will be very happy and feel comfortable if you answer them in Japanese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment